Chelsea Tris

Ironman-HERE I COME!!!

Wednesday, April 04, 2007

I <3 My Husband

My training has been really hard for us. If I'm not working, I'm training. If I'm not training, I'm tired or sleeping. This leaves no time for my hubby and us. The first 6 weeks were particularly difficult for us but we've seemed to work out a solution. If there are any workouts that he can do with me, he does. I make sure to make time for us and he's sure to let me have a little cat nap if I need it. We have good weeks. We have bad weeks. But lately they've been really good and that makes me happy.

So about 6 weeks ago Shaun and I made the decision that he would not be coming down to Oceanside to watch my race. We didn't want him to have to take off work and it wouldn't be that fun for him and he had a mountain bike clinic on Sunday that he was very excited about.

Well, on Saturday morning I got a little teary before my race because he wasn't there. I knew that we made the right decision but he really is my #1 fan and is such a calming force for me. He's my pit crew and always makes sure I'm all square before the race. So when he wasn't there, it made me a little sad. During the race, I kept thinking about him and wondering if he had looked at how I was doing but telling myself that it was okay if he hadn't. On the second loop of the run, I asked my Dad "Have you called Shaun?" and he said he had. So that made me happy.

After the race, I picked up my medal, my shirt, and my hat. I walked through the food tent and grabbed a mini-bagel and a banana and I went straight to my transition area. I picked up my phone and I called my husband to tell him how great I had done and how much I missed him. I hoped that he would pick up.

On the first ring he picked up and he said "Oh my gosh honey you did so GREAT! You came in 48th and your bike was awesome and so was your run! How's your shoulder? I was really worried about your first transition because it was so long but then I talked to your dad and he explained how big the transition was and then I saw that everyone else's transition was that long. Oh and your swim was only 2 seconds slower per 100 meters than the last time and that's great with your shoulder. HOW ARE YOU FEELING"

This was basically said in one breath and I felt so loved and so happy. I missed him but he cared and he tracked me.

The next day I called him and he said "Honey, I was so mad at myself yesterday" and I said, "Why?" thinking that he had spilled something on the carpet or forgot to feed the cat and he said, "I should have been there. I spent the whole morning obsessively tracking you and worrying and wishing I was there. I'm so sorry."

Isn't he great? I'm the luckiest woman alive.

We already have OUR plane tickets for Coeur d'Alene and he can't wait!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home